Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Double Gauze Sketchbook Shirt

Happy New Year! I am hoping to keep my sewing momentum going in the new year, and complete more projects, especially ones that are more likely to get a lot of wear. I have a tendency to sew special things, which can be very gratifying, but this year I'd like to sew a few more "everyday" pieces for everyone (even the husband!).



But first, to wrap up 2015 sewing, I have one more Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt I made for Leo this fall. He wore this for school picture day, but unlike Louisa's Brooklyn Bridge dress, it was actually complete in time. :)

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Brooklyn Bridge Fairy Tale Dress

As most of you know by now,  I love New York. We lived in Brooklyn for a few years and I have a lot of attachment to the bridge, as a symbol of Brooklyn, a beautiful national landmark, and because of my fond memories of crossing it in my old Volvo 240 while in labor with Louisa to get to the hospital in Manhattan.


So, I had picked out this Leah Duncan fabric for something special long ago, and I finally completed this dress for Louisa in October. She actually wore it for school picture day, although it hadn't yet been hemmed, because I just had to go to bed at some point (circle skirts—phew!).


I used the Oliver + S Fairy Tale Dress, again with a slightly lengthened bodice. This time I included the sleeves and collar, which I kind of regretted leaving off her Easter dress.


I modified the skirt to make it a circle skirt, using measurements of the bottom edge of the completed bodice to determine the circumference. Even though I tried to compensate for the stretch of the bias, it still ended up a little too big, so I pleated it with small box pleats at each of the bodice darts so that everything lined up.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

More Handmade Felt Christmas Stocking


I finally finished our full set of wool felt Christmas stockings, late Christmas Eve. I originally posted the first two, with a little bit about how I constructed them, here.




Saturday, November 21, 2015

Homemade Running Tights (Sewaholic Pacific Leggings)

Finally my two hobbies collide! I promise this isn't going to turn into a running blog. But I do love running, (and sewing), so I decided to try making a pair of Sewaholic Pacific Leggings. I really love the whole Vancouver pattern collection.


The fabric is tricot nylon/spandex blend from imagine gnats. I don't sew with knits all that often, and had never sewn with this kind of slippery swimsuit knit, but it went pretty well. I used her navy and peacock colors. It is "matte" but definitely a tiny bit shiny. But not at all see-through and perfectly thick enough for running tights, although it won't be warm enough for super cold days.



I sewed View B in a straight size 6, but shortened them one inch at the shorten line.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Wildwood Swingset Skirt

I decided to join in last week's Oliver + S Swingset Skirt Sew-along and made Lottie one out of leftover pieces of Elizabeth Olwen Wildwood (also seen here.)



I made the size 12-18 months and used Gail's tips for making a contrast waistband.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Hedwig Baby Owl No-Sew DIY Costume

Lottie dressed as little Hedwig to go with her big sister, Hermione.


After looking at many, many baby owl and Hedwig costumes on Pinterest, I found this one and knew it was the one. Her tutorial is here.


The main fabric is some cheap white polar fleece that was left over from the Max costume I made Leo a few years ago.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Hermione Granger Costume

Louisa loves Harry Potter and so do we. She is reading the Sorcerer's Stone for the 4th time right now. Hermione is so smart and brave and I was very happy that she chose her for Halloween this year.


I made the robe, the blouse and the skirt.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Upcycled Hummingbird Dress

My mom recently offered me a dress from another era of her wardrobe to be used "for fabric." Wanting something simple I could make for Louisa while keeping the skirt intact, I immediately thought of the Hummingbird Dress by Rabbit Rabbit Creations (which I had seen Erin make before).

Here is the before, as seen on my dining room floor:


Not adequately pictured: legit shoulder pads. And how 'bout those poofy sleeves?


And here is the after:

Since the bodice uses barely any fabric, (I used Kona Cotton in candy pink, leftover from other projects), it only cost me the price of the PDF. Which is nice, because often my sewing projects tend away from "budget friendly"... whoops. Yay for fabric shopping!

I suggest using the RTW sizes for this pattern, because going by measurements, I started out making a much-too-small bodice for Louisa, who is an average sized 7 year old. In the end, I cut a 6 and it is actually still a little snug I think.

Also, I overcompensated on the strap length, thinking I was adjusting for Louisa's above-average height, and unfortunately the bodice ended up a little too low-cut as a result.


I used this popular technique for encasing the waist seam and finishing the elastic. A+ tutorial.


I kept the original dress skirt whole--hand-picked it from its bodice, preserving side-seam pockets and hem--and re-gathered it. Since the original dress buttoned up the front, and I flipped it around for Louisa's, the pockets are now angled the wrong way, which makes them even harder to find in all that fullness. I don't think she minds though. Pockets are very, very important to her, as is twirl.


It was so nice not to have to hem it when I was done. She wanted it to be longer, but oh well. Maybe I'll make her a proper maxi-length version next summer.


I made this back in July, and had wanted to photograph it at the beach, but this is how far we got off the beach house steps...


Happily, however, she is still rocking it in October with this sweet cardigan my mom knit for her.


Thanks for reading!