The pattern for Leo's little jacket came from Anna Maria Horner'sHandmade Beginnings. Honestly, I would have been happy to use the exact fabrics used in her photograph, but I switched it up a little bit to make blue the main color. I also used all flannel, all from her Folksy Flannels collection. It is really high quality and the prints are adorable. I would like to make a lined version of Louisa's jacket with it actually.
My little four month old Leo is already 18 pounds, so I made him the 9-12 month size. Hopefully it will fit him in the spring too.
There were a lot of very curved seams, so lots of patient pinning was required (especially in attaching the sleeves). And it does take time to make a fully-lined jacket, because as other sewers have said, you are basically making two jackets. I like how the button placket worked out, and I enjoyed not having to finish seams (although all the top-stitching sort of makes up for time saved leaving seams raw).
I got the wooden buttons on etsy. A great place to shop for buttons, by the way. I love the variety.
Guess what came today? My t towel tea towel! I've been kind of obsessed with these ever since my friend Erin showed me a prototype last March. I think the concept is ingenious, the execution is impeccable, the look is hip, and, overall—it's just so darn clever. Comes in blue or red.
Only problem is, I don't want to dirty it. However, to not use it is to deny it some of its cleverness. For if it is just a "T" typography screen print that I hang on my wall, the pun is dead. And I love the pun. But I also love the design, so—my chocolate-milk-fingered kitchen, this tea towel shall not dry.
Maybe it will make an appearance at my next tea party, however.
I finished Louisa's fall jacket a few weeks ago but she's just starting to wear it now. I used my first Oliver + S pattern: the Sunday Brunch Jacket.
I had high expectations for this pattern considering all its rave reviews, and of course, the fabulous instructions and diagrams made even this fancy jacket a breeze to make. The seam binding tape on the inside really makes the jacket look professional.
The fabric is upholstery weight, ("dry clean only,"which I chose to ignore. It seems fine and I've washed it a few times now). A nice cotton that I found at Valley Fabrics in Stuarts Draft. I think it was $6.50/yard. The wooden buttons and bias tape were a few dollars and the pattern was $16, so the jacket cost me less than $30. And when I make the pattern again, it will be a fabulous deal for such a stylish little jacket. She gets compliments every time she wears it. I might make it with just two larger buttons (like they did on the purlbee) next time because buttoning (and unbuttoning) all four is kind of a chore.
I would like one in my size.
Next up, Leo's jacket! Just sewed the buttons on last night.
Update: Here she is wearing it a couple months later on New Year's.